There are loads of great mountain biking venues in the Wadebridge area, some of which also play host to races. WCCC members are involved in the three main disciplines of mountain bike racing: cross country (XC), downhill and four-cross (4X).
Although Wadebridge Coasters started life as a road cycling club, most of our members are also keen mountain bikers. At least one of our weekly club rides is a MTB ride (and more in the winter) and our club kit includes an excellent mountain biking jersey.
For more information, get in touch with 'Rodders' McLean, who oversees our MTB activities.
Local MTB venues
- In the Bodmin area the more ‘manicured ‘ trails of Cardinham and Lanhydrock offer graded trails that suit a variety of riders. These graded trails go from green (easy) to red trails (Difficult-some proficiency required). These are great trails for the family and have something to offer for most riders. Car parking charges apply at these woods but both have good facilities including café’s.
- For those requiring more challenging terrain, well established trails exist in Grogley, Bishops and Hustyns woods (PL27 7LF). These trails are rooty, twisty and in some places steep. They are used to host Enduro and X-Country events. Not officially graded but expect more red type sections.
- Further west Pennance Mill Farm is home to Falmouth Bike Park. The bike park is home to a national standard 4X track. The bike park benefits from the coaching of Simon Rickett who coaches at the park on Saturdays (10-11 experts and 11-12 novices).
- Poldice is an old mining area now used for mountain biking. The area links up with the mining trails and can be accessed from a variety of points. A café and bike hire is available from Bissoe (TR4 8QZ). Poldice has some challenging downhill sections and the whole area is interlaced with bridleways which offer a variety of riding.
- The mountain biking scene is always developing and Woody’s Bike Park is the most recent venue to open. This is located near Par and has trails ranging from blue to double black.
- Gawton gravity hub (PL19 8JN) is located in Devon but offers 5 downhill routes and now has the offer of an uplift to get riders to the top. Good facilities are on offer with toilets and café.
- There are also plans for a Cornwall bike park which has undergone a feasibility study and we will update when we know more..