Coasters Kids comprises four groups based on age and ability. The three younger groups focus on coaching sessions, while the oldest group mainly go on group rides:
* NB Please note that there are special requirements for members of the Riders group - please see the 'ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS' below.
Coasters Kids' activities fall under three categories. The emphasis on different activities varies between groups:
SPROCKETS, CHAINRINGS & WHEELS (under 12s, £30/term)
Coaching sessions are on Saturdays from 11am to 12pm at St Minver School.
RIDERS (12+ years, free)
This group's activities vary according to the time of year:
Please note that under 18s MUST meet the all the relevant conditions listed below to take part in Coasters Kids. These are primarily intended to safeguard your child, but also the reputation of the club and its leaders. They are based on British Cycling's best practice and insurance policies.
- Coasters Kids must be members of Wadebridge Coasters CC. Join here.
- Coasters Kids must be members of British Cycling, which includes a Race Licence .
- Coasters Kids must be accompanied and supervised by a parent (or an adult acting in loco parentis) on all rides (i.e. every week for Riders).
- Parental consent must be given by means of a Coasters Kids registration form completed for each child. Register here.
- Coasters Kids must use the appropriate, properly maintained equipment, including a cycle helmet.
- Members of the Riders group must be 12 years old or over (under 12s at secondary school are still welcome in the Wheels group). This is for legal and insurance reasons beyond our control. We understand that this can be frustrating for 11 year olds in year 7 and we do what we can to accommodate them!
- Members of the Riders group must have passed Bikeability level 2 (red badge). This is also for legal/insurance reasons and to help ensure their safety. Coasters Kids cannot provide Bikeability training but if your child did not do it at primary school, they can access this privately through Cycle Training Cornwall.
Wadebridge Coasters CC follows British Cycling's guidelines regarding child protection. Please contact Paul Rea our Welfare Officer for further details or if you have any concerns.
If you have any questions please get in touch with one of the team:
My children have done one term of Coasters Kids, and really enjoy the sessions that are teaching them about riding their bikes competitively. My daughter went on to win a silver medal in her first formal competition. I would recommend this group to any parents who want to share a love of cycling with their children. (Amanda Pennington)
Joining a select group of cycling clubs across the country, Wadebridge Coasters Cycling Club has fulfilled the necessary criteria to achieve British Cycling’s Go-Ride Clubmark status and now holds this prestigious accreditation. Clubmark is a universally acknowledged cross sport scheme introduced by Sport England for community sports clubs, which recognises high standards in welfare, equity, coaching and club management.
Clubs are required to submit a portfolio of evidence to show that they meet the relevant criteria, including suitably qualified volunteers, regular coaching sessions and club development plans. Throughout the application process, Wadebridge Coasters Cycling Club demonstrated an environment that ensures member welfare and promotes cycling as a lifelong sport.